Aerophobia or the same as fear of flying affects 1 in 20 people. That is why Dr. Modesto Alonso, with a PhD from the University of Buenos Aires and creator of medical works such as stress in aerospace aviation 623, in a video refers to how to overcome this fear and international techniques to fly placidly and comfortably.
[youtube id=”jSGKWr4rAZI” width=”750″ height=”420″ position=”left”]
Today our society has developed a world-wide intercommunication in what we know as globalization, it is shortening distances; taking us to places we never imagined in relatively short times. All this has been possible due to technological advances such as aeronautics, which increasingly require the development of aircraft with greater passenger capacity and greater flight range, allowing us to cross the Atlantic Ocean in a few hours, for example, or to go from New York to Beijing without mishaps.
But even though airplanes today are infinitely safer than their initial predecessors; There are many people today who are phobic and terrified of riding in one airplane, just the idea of having to board an airplane causes them, terror. Many even experience discomfort such as nausea, vomiting, and end up decomposing.
In an interview given to the digital specialist of medicine daniel stamboulian, the graduate Modesto Alonso, a specialist in aeronautical psychology, university teacher Faculty of Psychology (UBA) and National Institute of Aeronautical and Space Medicine (INMAE) refers to this condition as follows:
“The safest thing to do is to fly in an airplane, but there are many people who are too afraid of this. So the positive thing to rescue is that the plane is extremely safe, this is confirmed, it is scientifically proven, and the whole operation within the aviation system is focused on providing the highest possible safety.
The graduate in one of his publications written on the subject is emphatic in recognizing that if it is true that in many people there is a medium phobia of flying, this ends up being tolerable finally. But in many other people, this fear becomes something much greater leading them even to develop panic attacks and anxiety through the hours of flight, a really uncomfortable experience.
During his interview, Modesto Alonso mentions the fact that much of this fear of flying is influenced by a fear that leads to an idea of imprisonment inside the aircraft or in the biggest case that the plane falls down.
And it is emphatic that there are resources to solve this phobia, that there is research worldwide and independent studies that are on the way to guide how to overcome this fear in people and teach us 10 of these resources and here we explain it further.
1. We must be clear that there is a big difference between being afraid and being at risk. Fear is a normal feeling of our organism when faced with situations of danger, so if we are on a plane and everything is in order this feeling should not distress us, but try to enjoy the trip. Now being at risk is assumed as being at risk in front of something and is the biggest problem of fear of flying and that a plane falls is relatively low.
2. Many times we confuse what an airplane is, with what it is. Science fiction movies focus on showing us air attacks, that planes are shot down because if and thanks to this we have developed compulsive phobias to fly because we believe that an aircraft is an unsafe vehicle that with the least failure or minimum turbulence will go to the ground and this is far from reality.
The planes currently have electronic and intelligent systems that focus on the safety of passengers and their comfort. Also, the new air policies of the entities that regulate air traffic are open to protocols in case of an emergency.
3. One of the best practices to learn to fly is to recognize in ourselves that it is generating this fear, which are the triggers to think that we may suffer some kind of accident, finding the root of this type of anxiety we can handle these fears and begin to treat them rationally.
4. The question that many people ask themselves before making a flight is the following Is it possible for a plane to fall? and the answer is that if it did, it would be relatively impossible to make more than 6 million flights a month, which makes the probability of a plane falling relatively 0.19%.
5. If you feel that your fears are much greater than your desire to overcome them, you can go to psychology therapies, many psychologists are prepared to respond to their patients who have such phobias, strategies to provide help ranging from relaxation techniques, breathing, abandonment of dysfunctional beliefs, even some psychotherapeutic processes can help a person to face their fears to fly.
6. Another resource that you can put into practice is to plan your trip, this will create a secure link in you, and plan what kind of flight you want to get and have an itinerary that helps you to face the trip you want to make.
7. One of the most incredible aspects of our body is the ability to generate positive thoughts and as these are absorbed by our mind if we repeat them daily, the power of our mind is infinite so it is advisable to think positively about the trip we are planning to take and to visualize ourselves constantly riding on the plane calmly and that everything will be superb.
8. It is important to start learning breathing and relaxation techniques with experts because as we mentioned before, many people experience extreme levels of anxiety once they get on the plane, which can lead to panic attacks. That is why it is important to have in mind and know good breathing and relaxation practices to control the nervousness that can be generated by riding in an aircraft.
9. Focus on enjoying the in-flight entertainment tools as many airlines offer in-flight entertainment, whether it’s the right to watch a movie, even listen to music or read a magazine. Making use of these means will help you to be more relaxed during the flight. Also try to make conversation with your neighbor or seatmate this will generate a relationship of trust and empathy so that you can avoid feeling lonely and nervous.
10. The most important tool is the will, all the advice that we mentioned before so that you can overcome the fear of flying depends on you, the desire you have to overcome those fears and leave them as part of the past, so focus on overcoming that fear and once taken this step safely aerophobia will be a single experience that you will remember positively for having left it behind.